On behalf of Skills PEI, Resources West administers the Self-Employ PEI program. Self-Employ PEI provides eligible individuals with financial support for up to one year. Self-Employ PEI is a tool that can help individuals achieve their goals of self-employment, by providing them with suitability assessment, business training, tools & resources, technical advice and financial support.
Aspiring entrepreneurs who meet eligibility requirements will receive weekly financial support to help ease the financial burden individuals face during the first year of business operation.
This program is available to unemployed individuals currently receiving EI benefits or whose EI benefit period ended within the last three years; or who have received maternity or parental benefits within the last five years.
TO APPLY YOU MUST:
- Be unemployed
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
- Be able to contribute equity
- Have not participated in SEB within the past five years
- Be willing to work a minimum of 35 hours per week on the business
- Agree to provide a business plan for review within 10 weeks
- Start a new business or take over an existing business in which you had no prior ownership
- Agree to work full time on your business
Under the Self-Employ PEI program you will be eligible to receive Insurance benefits for 52 weeks at a rate determined by Skills PEI.
This benefit can be discontinued if the client does not complete his or her contract obligations.
HOW DO I APPLY?
- Meet with a Skills PEI service provider (Career Development Services) to develop a return to work action plan
- Prepare a brief business description and resume
- Arrange for a meeting with the Coordinator at Resources West
- If you and your business concept meet the criteria you will be directed to Service Canada for a determination on your E.I. eligibility
- You will sign an agreement
- Attend the recommended Small Business Program
- Prepare a business plan for review by Resources West & Skills PEI